- Size up your shoes. Shoes are your most important sports equipment. Make sure shoes are in good condition and fit properly. Buy shoes from reputable, local running stores with knowledgeable sales people.
- Muscle flexibility is an important part of CCC10k training. Stretch before and after your training – primary focus should be on hamstring and calf muscle stretches to ward off nagging injuries in these muscle groups, but do not exclude other muscles around the hips and thighs, especially if you have had a previous injury.
- Keep safety in mind when training and avoid training on busy streets when traffic volume is high. Wear a reflector or reflective clothing when running at night or early morning in low light conditions. Reflective tape and stickers are sold at running and cycling stores. Audubon Park and City Park provide great settings and pathways for safe training. Additionally, the local running stores in your neighborhood offer weekly training runs – a great way to train and to meet others. Programs are offered for runners and walkers of ALL levels of experience.
- Make your training a Family Event. Kids are less fit than ever before. Parents who eat healthful food and who exercise regularly promote healthier habits for their children. Involve your children in regular physical exercise and training with you for the CCC10k.
- When to Stop? Don’t be tempted to overdo your training. CCC10k training should be fun, not painful. If you experience pain, stop training for a day or so until the pain subsides, then begin again. If pain doesn’t go away, or reoccurs, consult your physician. Don’t try to train through injuries!
- Mix It Up! Cross-training and interval conditioning strengthens the heart more than pounding away at the same old pace. Try running one day, speed walking another day and cycling or spinning class another day. Mix it up and listen to your body. Different activities will reduce the pounding to the joints from running and will help you build strength and endurance.
- Protect your Skin. Sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15 or higher is essential for skin protection to all exposed and unexposed skin along with lightweight, light-colored clothing. Also, wear a hat and protect your eyes and skin around the eyes by wearing sunglasses that block 90 – 100% of the sun’s UV rays.
- Good nutrition is important for a healthy body and to fuel the body for CCC10k training. Don’t diet, but eat responsibly. Eat nutritious meals that are satisfying and will give you energy. Skip the big desserts, but not the fruits, vegetables and protein necessary for a body that is exercising.
- Take time to read the CCC10k race instructions that will be in your registration packet and may be found on the official CCC10k website. Make a plan for arriving at the staring line on time, meeting your friends before and after the race, and where to park and pick up a bus to go back downtown after the race. The whole event will be more fun if you know where you are going and what to expect!
- Plan to attend the CCC10k Health & Fitness Expo, located at the Hyatt Regency New Orleans hotel on Thursday and Good Friday before Race Day! Lots of fun and lots of information about health and wellness from noted health and wellness experts, cooking and exercise demonstrations and vendors with special “giveaways” and coupons, not to mention the opportunity to purchase the latest, and greatest fitness gadgets and gear! It is all part of the whole CCC10k Experience.
- Wondering what to wear to the CCC10k? ANYTHING you want to wear. The Classic is our city’s Mardi Gras on feet! Light weight clothing of a light color will help keep you cool along with sunglasses, hat and sunscreen for skin and eye protection. Otherwise wear your race number on the front of your outfit of choice – costumes are ALWAYS acceptable, and you will not be alone! When you check out the CCC10k Expo, you may find the perfect running apparel to complement your fitness accomplishments.
Have fun and enjoy the race!!!!
Local Running Clubs
Louisiana Running Company - meets every Monday and Wednesday at their store (4153 Canal St.), leaving at 6:30pm. MORE INFO HERE
Varsity Sports / Happy's Running Club - meets every week at various locations, 6:16/6:30pm. Like them on facebook
Southern Runner - meets every Thursday at their store (6112 Magazine). For more info call: (504) 891-9999
- Fifteenth Street Flyers - meets every week in Mandeville. MORE INFO HERE